Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Introduction by Sahara

Hello,
My name is Sahara Gary and I am a summer intern here at the History Museum of Mobile's research and education departments. I am working under Curator of History Scotty Kirkland Curator of Education Jennifer Fondren. I am thrilled to work with such talented curators and soak up all the knowledge they have to offer me.
I am a lifelong resident of Mobile. I attended Theodore High School, where I received an Advanced Diploma with Honors. While in attendance a Theodore High School, I was active in Close Up, Junior Civitan, and the band.
I’m currently a student at Troy University in Troy, Ala. While at Troy I have been active in the Sound of the South marching band, Tau Beta Sigma Honorary Band Sorority, History Club, tutoring at the local library, and Conversation Partners (a program to help foreign students become more fluent in English). During my time at Troy I was indecisive in my major. I loved my history classes and finally decided to make my major History with a minor in Social Science. This December (2013), I will graduate with my B. S. in History.
As a history major, the only job option I thought I had was to become a teacher. After talking to my adviser, I learned of the opportunities in museums and jumped at the chance to learn more about this career. By working with Scotty and Jennifer, I can look at my options in public history and education.
I have never felt more welcomed anywhere than I have been at the HMOM. This internship is opening me up to new and exciting experiences. I can’t wait to dive into all the work that is coming my way.

                  -Sahara Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment