Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Dr. Intern --or-- How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Introduce Myself

Hello, all.

I'm Chris, and Curator of Exhibits Jacob Laurence's current minion over at the Site of Historic Fort Conde. I'm currently working on my second bachelor's degree over at the University of South Alabama in History in an effort to actually do something I like with my life. Truth be told, I'm not overly fond of talking about myself, but I guess I don't exactly get much of a choice here.

Anyway, I'm from here in Mobile. Went to Davidson for high school, then went up to Nashville for seven years, four of which I spent trying to get an engineering degree at Vanderbilt. That plan didn't exactly work out--turns out there's an upper limit to where math stops making sense to me and that line is "calculus with more than one variable", which just happens to also be the line you have to cross once you get into your second year of a B.E. I wound up graduating with a B.S. in Engineering Science, which roughly translates into, "I know how to engineer to some extent, but I'm not very good at it."

That was back in 2009, which most of you might remember as the time period when the economy was spiraling out of control and all the poor, stupid "career students" were suddenly thrust into a workforce that valued "actually having had a job before" over everything else. You can probably guess where I fell on that spectrum, but I managed to jump from temp job to temp job for a while, relying on a combination of blind luck and... Actually, it was pretty much blind luck.

Regardless, about a year ago, I realized I wasn't really getting anywhere, my lease was up for renewal, and my girlfriend had finally graduated from college and moved back home for a while. So, I decided to just bite the bullet, move back here, and see if I couldn't get a degree in something I liked. That gets us to now. I wrapped up my first semester of coursework over at South, and managed to actually see all A's, which is a phenomenon I haven't experienced since I was a spry young man of 18. I'm going to be working with Jacob on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the month of June.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "But, Chris, your style, rugged good looks, and self-deprecation have won my heart already. Why not the whole summer?" Well, in addition to being a career ne'er-do-well, I'm also an amateur tabletop game developer (translation: I like playing Dungeons and Dragons), and I'm going to be traveling up to Connecticut in July to promote a book my friends and I wrote, Kickstarted the printing on, and actually sell through their site. Then, I have some other traveling to do to make sure that I'm nice and happy before tearing into classes next semester--which will involve way more paper-writing than any sane man should have signed up for--most of which involves being a nerd against a different background.

But, worry not. We still will have some good times together before then. Well, I'll have some good times. You just get to watch and I'll do my best to amuse you while telling you about all the cool things I get to do that you don't.

I'm nowhere near this classy in real life, but, I also don't have a lot of photos of myself. I'm the one with the beard.

No comments:

Post a Comment