Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Post 2 by Sahara: Tours and Learning Lunch

Tours have started to increase for the History Museum of Mobile. Day cares and summer camps bring their students to experience the museum. It‘s so exciting to see young children introduced to history. The students are so energetic and eager to learn. It reminds me of when I was young. I was so intrigued by the older homes in the historic district as me and my mom would travel around the city. Doug, a Museum docent and the leader of the tours, gives great insightful tours. He can reach the young children as well as the older students. The tour group has a variety of ages. Hopefully by the end of this summer I will give tours just as dynamic as Doug. 





This week I attended my first Learning Lunch, which is a free program at the History Museum that occurs on the second Wednesday of every month during the lunch hour. A Lecture is given on a selected historic topic. A wide variety of history enthusiasts were in attendance at the lunch. People from all walks of life came to enjoy this experience. You bring a brown bag lunch, drinks are supplied, and you get to hear an in-depth lecture. This month’s topic was “Mobilians Who Built, Served, and Died on the Hunley: Historical Parallels, Errors, and a Little Neglect” by Jack O’Brien, Assistant Professor of Biology, University of South Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment