Friday, June 26, 2015

Week #4: From Russia with Love



            This week I have been neck-deep in books, but through hard work and dedication I have begun to see the light at the end of it all. The center of my workroom has boxes everywhere that I have made it through, but I still have the Civil War books to get though, which is another five or six boxes. It is not that I am dreading the work, I just want to make sure I get it all done in a timely fashion. The work can be mind-numbing at times though. All I do is open the front of each book and find out the basic information like the title, author, publisher, and date it was printed. While it can get stale after a while, I do enjoy the work environment. Straight out of the window next to me is the city plaza building. On the top of which is a construct built to resemble a sail catching wind, very appropriate for the kind of books I’ve been going through.
My co-workers also keep work interesting with our occasional talks on comic books or movies. Tonya works in the same room as me and she is going through a collection of Mardi Gras, and diseases and disaster newspaper clippings. She stops occasionally to share something interesting she reads, like just now we stopped to talk about the large amount of deaths by yellow fever in the late 1800’s around the area (super happy, fun topics like that). People should keep more newspaper clippings on dog shows, or cute baby pictures, that would be a nice break in the action. I also appreciate my co-workers for keeping me from becoming socially awkward in the course of a workday. In this job, it would be easy to go the entire day without talking to anyone, so I might forget how to “people.”

No comments:

Post a Comment