Monday, July 23, 2012

Good Afternoon,
I want to start this particular post off on a slightly more somber note, since my adoptive state is Colorado.  This past Friday morning, July 20, there was a massacre in a theater in Aurora, Colorado, during the premiere of The Dark Knight Rises.  Waking up to this news was terrible as I have or have had friends live in Aurora (roughly 1.5 hours from Boulder where I live).  Thankfully none were in the theater during the incident.  But regardless of where I have lived or currently live, this was a terrible incident and my heart grieves for the families and community of Aurora.  This comes on the heels of all the wildfires in Colorado that have destroyed a lot of houses and communities (also coming close to entering Boulder and impacting my friends and I personally), and so I grieve for the state of Colorado.  But the people of Colorado are resilient, and just like the amazing people of our state and Gulf Coast who have to pick up after so many tornadoes and hurricanes, we will ban together and heal our communities one day at a time.  Please keep Colorado in your thoughts during this time.


And now to turn back to a topic that I hope will liven everyone's day = Thor Themed Day!!

There are only 4 more days left in my internship, and the exhibit is really coming together.  And what do we do when we are finishing an exhibit?  Put the finishing touches on with finishing nails! (Yes, I do think I am clever).  But finishing nails require a hammer - thus Thor Themed Day!

Here are some clever pictures from my morning assignment- putting up white blocks to connect the only spaced out portion of our exhibit.  The white blocks help to create "shadows" to give an illusion of a filled and connected space.  This is a deliberate design move, and an excellent idea by our Curator of Exhibits Jacob.

Pictures of installation:


Taking a break mid project to have a bit of fun posing as my favorite Thor poster:

(Not a very good impression I know, but we had fun.)

Also this morning we had a photographer from the Mobile Register, Mike Kittrell, come to take pictures of the exhibit, and of us installing the exhibit.  So keep an eye out for us in the Register some time soon Mobilians!

Picture of Mike Kittrell taking pictures (once again, yes I think I am very clever today):

  That is all for today!  I hope everyone has a great day!

** Note: In an earlier post on interactives, I had said an interactive element was called "extending the exhibit"- I meant to put "extending the experience" (not exhibit, but still same concept).  Sorry about the mis-post, I guess my brain was reading one thing and fingers typing another!  The post is now fixed!

-Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment